contemporary collage paintings
the process
Leslie Avon Miller

My life flows when I'm in my art.


Jean De Muzio

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Pray for Peace

What could you create in a world at peace?

Make the brushing of your hair a prayer, every strand its own voice, singing in the choir on your head. As you wash your face, the water slipping through your fingers, a prayer: Water, softest thing on earth, gentleness that wears away rock.
Making love, of course, is already prayer. Skin, and open mouths worshipping that skin, the fragile cases we are poured into.
Pull weeds for peace, turn over in your sleep for peace, feed the birds, each shiny seed that spills onto the earth, another second of peace. Wash your dishes, call your mother, drink wine.


Ellen Bass's fourth book of poems, The Human Line, was published by Copper Canyon Press in June 2007.
I found Ellen's poetry on line today. I asked her if I could share some with you. She was happy to have you read her work. These are just a few stanzas of her poem which is avaliable in its entirety at her web site, along with a few others.
So I have been thinking about this poem today. Yes, the Zen of feeding the birds, making love, or washing our hair is a prayer, so certainly the movement of a brush across our canvas is a prayer, as is the thought behind it. Make art, make a prayer for Peace. It’s all good.
This piece is another of my collages from last year’s International Collage Exchange.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie, I have come here via Jeanes blog...I really have enjoyed looking at your site. Your work is wonderful to see.
    This is a lovely post...and thanks for the "International Collage Exchange" link...great site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo: Jeane has the nicest friends. I had a lot of fun with the collage exchange last year. I have my watercolor paper all cut out and ready to go to make this years. Making 13 collages all at the same time is a great way to stretch. And when that return package arrives in the mail box its like a little collage party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary: I have been a fan of your blog for a long time. I love the way you have such good command of organic shapes. And your photos! What a great eye. I am honored you came for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good morning Leslie - I have to say, I can make a prayer out of brushing my hair, well not really because I don't brush my hair as you could probably tell, but my biggest prayer of the day is, please god, make something appear for Jim's dinner - a day to scavenge for junk with Lisa! - have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. prayer - junking- dinner appearance - it works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leslie,

    Thank you for coming over to join in our little bit of fun. You are always welcome.

    You are right about the technical side - and I'm VERY "un-"! I love your snow effect. IF I could manage it, it would probably pile up along the bottom of the screen!

    I also really like your image for 12/8 and the woodland shot on 12/10 I'm sure it's fascinating to see your work materialise before your very eyes.

    WV vincips: the tiny sips of wine a Spanish waiter takes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Leslie, I adore your work! reat blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hiya - fab work and blog - glad Jeane directed me here :o) and please tell me how u get it to snow on your blog (i love it)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting Derrick:
    Maybe we can support one another in learning the tech side of blogging. The snow effect was actually easy. The challange is to remember where I got it....If we get too frustrated by the tech issues there is always medicinal wine.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not mass produced; (Sorry I have not found your name.) It's nice to have you pop in for a visit. I love the poles at your blog. I see you like artist books. Me too. I will be posting some in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Love Black and White: Ditto! I love your photos. You have a great eye for line, simplicty and pattern. I'll be checking in at your blog on a regular basis. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went on Ellen Bass's site and read the poem...beautiful and I was pleased to read a review by Billy Collins, another favorite poet of mine. Ellen lives here in town and has offerred many classes...so nice to see her work well recognized and thank you for sharing the poetry.
    The texture is quite beautiful on this latest piece.
    Still loving the snow!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leslie, beautiful thoughts .. There is something to be thankful for every minute...I thank you for this post...

    and I must add your collage is gorgeous lusciousness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful collage! The texture is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary Ann:
    I love good poetry. For me that means I come away from the poem thinking from a slightly different perspective, or seeing something more clearly. For me, good poetry is short and understandable. If I have to work at it too hard, I’m lost.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Seth and Gwen: Thanks. I love good texture. I am thankful you stoped by.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please sign the guest book and let me know what you think. Join the conversation. It's fun!