contemporary collage paintings
the process
Leslie Avon Miller

My life flows when I'm in my art.


Jean De Muzio

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year


For me, the New Year begins in the Autumn, when a new school year would start. I would have a new, fresh notebook and pencils, a new outfit, a new teacher, new subjects and a different mix of classmates. It was always an exciting time for me because I enjoyed school and being in the flow of learning and meeting new people. I love that time of year. I usually found ways to incorporate art into most subjects, especially science and social studies. If it was an assignment in biology I would include drawings (horses, of course!) I remember drawing all the different types of clouds for a science report. If it was a research project I would make a cover for my report and include a visual collage. I wrote a paper about Australia, and I made the Australian flag for the report cover. I researched England and asked my Dad to make a wooden cut out (like a puzzle piece) of the island country and mounted it on a wooden cover complete with tiny little hinges. That one was my design and his work. (Thanks Dad!) So for me the New Year in January is more about a time for a little rest from all the holiday busyness. A personal day. A little gift of time. Hopefully, I will get to create some art! Happy New year to all of you!
At the Virtual Tart site of Dale Copeland there is a new on-line collage exhibition by Laura Lein-Svencner of Darien, IL, USA, called Crow Count. Her series is in a limited color palette, and includes words, images, textures and shapes. I think this series is great work. Dale invites a different artist each month to put on an exhibition. I signed up for late 2010. I don’t have a clue what I will be making then, but I am excited about the possibilities!

13 comments:

  1. I love to think of autumn as my time of new beginnings, too. I hate the summer heat and the sluggishness that comes with it. As soon as those cool fall breezes start, I come back to life in so many ways.

    I raise a cup of kindness to you, dear bloggy friend. I'm happy to have found you.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Willow -
    Thank you for the delicious sip from the cup of kindness. There really is nothing better! Thank you for being you. Happiest of New Years to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been a maker from birth, Leslie. Me, too, in other ways. I always made clothes and household items... embroidery was one of my things and led me to art in a more roundabout way. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the beginning of the new school year..the new supplies , the new clothes, the chance for a new beginning...yes it is a good time to celebrate a new year...Jewish new year Rosh Hashanah is celebrated in September and that always seemed right to me..

    I loved school but never considered myself talented in art -loved art anyways!
    Loved your post...
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting - I guess each of us can decide what ingredients are needed to constitute the mental construct of the "New Year". But we all somehow connect with the idea of starting a new cycle on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you Leslie! I love the way you describe infusing everything, including biology!, with art. Thanks too for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year All

    Jo: I think every fiber of your being is and has always been creative, and with beautiful colors. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Oliag: You defiantly have a talented eye, finding beauty in what you see. I suspect you are more “artist” than you might realize. Thanks for sharing your vision with us.

    Bob: It’s exciting to start anew. Each new piece is like that for me. In my mind they all have lovely potential.

    Seth: Where is that boundary between “art” and “non-art” I wonder? Is there really a division? Humm……

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, Leslie, or I guess Happy Rest Day since you've had a head start on the rest of us! - so glad we made a connection - to think, you've been in my back yard all this time! but timing is everything and we met when we were supposed to! really loving your headers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Day Jeane, what ever you want it to be today! I too am so glad we connected, which was the final little encouragement I needed to join in at Blogland. Today’s header: rusted paper on the studio floor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The others sound to be old friends, I am new here but enjoy your textures and colors and your energy. I feel it through the computer! Pretty impressive, Happy Day to you. C.S. Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  11. C.S. Believe it or not, I have been blogging for 3 weeks! I had to go back and check. I started on December 7th. I had commented on some blogs occasionally, but without an online identity, it wasn’t nearly the same. I just checked and I can get to your blog now, so what ever the technical issue was it is fixed. I’m heading over to read it now. I can tell that your creative soul has a lot to say that I want to read! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I agree with you about the new year beginning in the autumn, and since I am a teacher that feeling stays. I used to include art in all my reports too, art is such a wonderful gift. But what I really want to say is that I love your collages and that they have been a gift to me this morning! Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Roxanne: I just peeked at your blog Inner Works. What an excellent way to document a round robin! I'll be checking in from time to time. Also enjoyed looking at River Garden Studio. I was interested by the change your editor suggested; to go self published. I suppose that is an indication of our times. I’ll be interested to hear what you decide. And I am happy you found the collage inspiring this morning. I love inspiration and I love collage! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please sign the guest book and let me know what you think. Join the conversation. It's fun!