contemporary collage paintings
the process
Leslie Avon Miller

My life flows when I'm in my art.


Jean De Muzio

Monday, June 28, 2010

Expressive Figurative Art



Empty-handed I entered the world. Barefoot I leave it. My coming, my going -- Two simple happenings that got entangled.
~ Kozan Ichikyo

And between coming and going? Make art!





Continuing with the blog post series featuring figurative art I present here life drawings by Australian artist Noela Mills. Noela’s blog is called wabisabiart. Her blog features creative experimentation and a whole spectrum of her own art from jewelry to collage and from paintings to textile art.




Noela’s life drawings are oh so exquisite, using sensitive line, powerful shape and a splendid color palette. These drawings were part of the International Collage Exchange this year, but unfortunately I didn’t get one of them! Noela has also used life drawings to construct a most intriguing artist book. Oh, how I would love to hold that book and turn the pages! Noela is an innovative artist, who loves textures, color and shapes, so of course I feel we are kindred spirits. Noela tells us about her long time love affair with textures here.




When I was about eight years old, I went on a school camp. I borrowed my mother's bellows camera and took photos of rocks, bark, patterns in the sand, reflections, and only one or two of people. My love affair with texture had begun. Over the next fifty years, I explored all avenues of life and the visual arts, becoming an art teacher, a traveller, a ski instructor, a mother and eventually a professional artist. My art is now almost entirely consumed by the concept of 'wabi sabi' - the Zen Buddhist philosophy of finding beauty in things old, worn, incomplete, imperfect and common place. I work with rust paint on canvas, barbed wire in jewellery, antique kimono silks in scarves and teabags in almost everything. My personal mantra is HONEST, SIMPLE and NOBLE. I still take photos of rocks, bark and reflections.























I am a devoted fan of artist Robyn Gordon. You probably know her blog, Art Propelled. Robyn curates delicious on line art exhibits of all kinds including collage, paintings, textiles and anything else that strikes her keen artistic eye. Opening a new blog post at Art Propelled is like opening a birthday present in beautiful kuba cloth wrapping tied with native grasses and decorated with seed pods. But Robyn is best known for her own wood carvings. Robyn takes figurative art and totems to a whole new level. I am fortunate enough to have one of Robyn’s small goddess carvings. It has a place of honor on my windowsill alter of inspirational Very Cool and Arty Things.










Robyn’s carvings make statements about her love for her native Africa and art and her deep sense of compassion. Robyn’s reply to the question “What story are you telling with your art?” follows.



I suppose I am telling the story of my life in South Africa. The niche carvings hold objects that are of the land (pebbles, bones, cowries, driftwood etc.), symbols of Africa (beadwork, arrowheads, tiny stone carvings), symbols of my British ancestry (silver teaspoons, Minton china shards). The totems "speak" of the legends that have been passed down from one generation to the next. The patterns, objects, symbols are all of this land. No matter what tribe we belong to we who were born in this country belong here and make South Africa what it is.




















I am so thankful for the art blogging world. From my little town in the Pacific Northwest of the US I can experience the art, the creative explorations, musings and processes of artists from around the world. Thank you Noela and Robyn.


30 comments:

  1. Hello, my friend. Once again you've created a fascinating post with plenty of beautiful art, both yours and others. I know of Robyn's wonderful work and thanks for the introduction to Noela. I really love the first piece in this post. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo! The first piece is a collage of mine from a few years ago. Its a real favorite of mine. I'm making a lot of collage now, but it's all experimental, so its not yet time to share. I am glad to introduce you to Noela and her fabulous work. Robyn and her blog are well known, but how could I do a series on figurative art without her fabulous totems?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful surprise to click on your icon this morning and find a whole new look to your blog. It is absolutely wonderful! Your earthy new piece, just amazing .... and scrolling down and loving Noela's exquisite work .... and the artist book is so stunning ..... the colours! ..... scrolling again .... and another big surprise! Thanks so much Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robyn! Thanks for being part of the series on figurative art! I finally explored the new designs that blogger has provided. You might notice the map of Africa to the right of the header. This change took only a few clicks of the mouse and was oh so simple to do. Its nice to have new options.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the new look but havent been brave enough to change. Thank you for pointing me to Noela's work it is lovely, Robyn's I know well, there is so much out there in blog land, if only one had the time to explore more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Penny! Blog land is a fabulous place. Time to explore it all - well there is the rub!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the information and links about these artists. I would love to look and turn the pages in Noela's book - gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic artists both!

    I've never heard of Noela Mills, but now must do some exploring. I love her mix of figurative work with the abstract. Truly wonderful.

    And Robyn, as we all know is phenomenal. I could pave my home with her work and be truly happy.

    Your blog is beautiful -- a wonderful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work and philosophies by two fine artists. Always enjoy what you present here. Thank you for pointing us to these talented people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is such a stunning group of work and you are a fabulous "curator" I love going to the gallery in my pjs! ELK

    ReplyDelete
  11. so nice to see the figurative work of these two artists. Love that canvas book. Robyn's sculptures are so earthy and grounded. Your new blog colors and patterns are such a change from tones of white white white. thanks, suki

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post Leslie and I love the juxtaposition between Noela and Robyn's work! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Leslie,

    I see you decided upon the same new look as I did - great minds!! I was familiar with Robyn's work and like her totems and carving very much. Noela's illustrations are also a great blend of materials.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thoughtful post...featuring the figure has been lovely...both artists are expressing at their best.
    Like your new background colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Robyn is one of the very first artist friends I met in the blogosphere. Her work is magnificent. And you know what? She's nice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Leslie,

    I'm really enjoying the new design of your blog. It's very spacious, which makes reading, especially about Robyn and Noela's work, very relaxing. I'm so glad you profiled Robyn. I like her work, her posts, and her approach to life in general. It was a treat to look at a series of her totem pieces and to read her words about Africa so rich and depthful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a dynamic new doo you've got Leslie...I'm lovin' the look and every piece that you share...

    You've created such a wonderful juxtaposition... the elegant rather formal figure studies of Noela, albeit with a lot of freedom and flair (I adore her sketchbook!!) with the exceptional earthy tribal Robyn beat...fabulously inspired pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous post. Thank for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A smorgasbord of visual delight. Your journal is delightful and Robyn's work never ceases to amaze. Thanks for all of the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. a great new earthy look to your blog Leslie and an intriguing post - thank you for the introduction to Noela and her beautiful drawings - I'm over to visit her blog next - what a wonderful world!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful post featuring two artists- Robyn and Noela whose blogs I already follow-- you are right-- through the blog world we can find and connect and appreciate fabulous artists and their works all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do so love Robyn's work and I am so happy to hear in her own words some of what goes into her unique totems. Thanks to you both, Robyn and Leslie, for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous post Leslie!

    I adored those books in particular from Noela!
    I was dying to look into them. I must look her up.
    And I was delighted to see these wonderful, wonderful works of Robyns...
    That first photo of her work really caught my eye.

    Big thanks for this inspiring post Leslie!
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous post Leslie!

    I adored those books in particular from Noela!
    I was dying to look into them. I must look her up.
    And I was delighted to see these wonderful, wonderful works of Robyns...
    That first photo of her work really caught my eye.

    Big thanks for this inspiring post Leslie!
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Leslie, thanks for this beautiful post. I love Noela's work, and that book! Yes, I'd love to look through that myself. And Robyn's work is wonderful too . . . and your new piece is great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Leslie, you do create a lovely post. Every post is a collage in itself. So happy to see the work of Noela. Her use of the sensitive drawings with textures works so well. I will look for more. Inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Noela's work is breathtaking. What an awesome mixture of line and collage!

    And Robyn, well, we all just love her and her inspiring, radiant work and that's that!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks so much, Leslie, for featuring me in your blog, and thanks to all those lovely people out there in blogger land who made these wonderful comments. I am loving these new creative connections SO much - instant friendships with like minded people. What a buzz!
    I will post more of my fabric life drawing book on my blog for those who are interested.
    love to all, Noela xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh oh oh ew uh mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...i am always so inspired by your blog posts leslie -

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please sign the guest book and let me know what you think. Join the conversation. It's fun!