contemporary collage paintings
the process
Leslie Avon Miller

My life flows when I'm in my art.


Jean De Muzio

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Studio Views Sunday





Real snow, pretty to look at. And it’s snowing again as I write. We are cozy and warm, and tired, after the long night last night. There are a lot of birds at the feeders today, including a beautiful Flicker. I love the coloring of the birds; gray, soft browns, cream, orange, and black. I have started three more pieces this weekend. This is one in its initial stages of layering textures, and starting to create a design. Working on the birch panel boxes is fun. The surface is absolutely resilient. I have been sanding these pieces this morning. I love the way it allows some of the under surface to show through in interesting ways, and creates new edges. I am thinking about the six foot piece I saw in the gallery window last night. Could I work that big? Do you?


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful snow images and lovely art work.
    Glad I found your blog.
    How did you get it to snow - a very suitable affect for your subject matter.
    Greetings from New York

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie - real snow! it looks kind of cool to see your blog snow falling on your snow pics - really like the top piece - it's already looking very yummy and I also like the pic of the apple tree on your sidebar! - oh what a trek you guys had - Seattle and then to drive home in the snow! don't you just love the Friesen - one of my friends did an installation there a few years ago and I video taped there for two days - stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos of the snow and a great start on new work. Are birch panel boxes the same as clayboard boxes?
    Please stop by my site as I have something for you!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you can! I love the look of the painting at The gallery. As you say the effect of the repetative shapes is what is so great. I hope to see progress with your 6ft artwork soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone: Elizabeth I love your photos, and I see you found the snow effect. Jeane: I've never been inside any of the Seattle contemporary galleries. I MUST go. Mary Ann: the boxes are made with a thin panel; like the skin of a door. The clayboards are similar, but coated with the clay stuff. Since I am a texture painter, I can't abide the clay; all the textures comes back off! I just gesso the ones Kurt makes for me. Maybe I'll take a photo or two pre-gesso so you can see. Robyn: I did figure out a spot in the studio where I could hang a 6 foot piece. I'll have to work my way up to it! And I love black and white; I love the patterns you are capturing with your photos.

    I had to work at the day job today. I would have rather been in the studio. Its 17 degrees here now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leslie I saw your sos at Mary Ann's about getting your award off her blog - you should be able to just move it to your desktop and then go into your blogger layout - go to add a gadget, scroll down to pictures - and then just add it to your sidebar - good luck! and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leslie, Do you need help moving the icon over to your site or creating links? I'm off to the gym but let me know and we will work it out somehow!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mary Ann and Jeane: I'll give Jeane's instructions a try. One can always count on friends!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please sign the guest book and let me know what you think. Join the conversation. It's fun!