contemporary collage paintings
the process
Leslie Avon Miller

My life flows when I'm in my art.


Jean De Muzio

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Exaggerate Something







I had a great day in the studio Saturday. It was fun. I did texture work all day. I started to think of it as an archeological dig, a process of discovery. I really am a process painter. I went out there with general ideas, and a desire. But it was the process of doing that became the inspiration. I keep a notebook close by to jot notes about my thoughts; sometimes words that might become a title, ideas about where I am going with the work and what I am trying to say. So I thought about archeology, excavation and layering. I thought about digging things up, altered forever by the burial process, and the unearthing process. I thought about how each thing, and each one of us, is affected by the conditions around it or around us. I thought about time. And I responded to what was happening on the painting surface.

At times when my art is feeling stuck I do keep notes, a rough journal of sorts. I read in my journal about how I want to use shape. I write about shapes. But what I do make is texture. Then I read in my notes something from artist Wolf Kahn. He said Exaggerate Something. Ah, yes. For right now, I’m going with my flow. I’m exaggerating texture. It was a lot of fun!

By the way, Wolf Kahn is an oil painter and a pastel painter. He uses lots of color, and he paints primarily slightly abstracted, simplified barns, foliage and landscapes. This would seem to be so very different than my own work, which it is. You might wonder why I would be enamored of his work. What I love about Wolf Kahn is that he is so very, very good at what he does. I love to look at the exquisite mastery of his work. A Wolf Kahn barn is a barn like no other. He does use great texture in his work. And I love to read his words, which are kind and down to earth.

“The practice of art should have an effect not only on the public, but even more importantly, on the artist himself, by enlarging his sphere of freedom. Once this is understood and becomes a profound part of artistic practice, the problem of being a mere manufacturer of expensive objects disappears; pictures are justifiable because they are steps in their maker’s artistic development. Each picture is valuable only insofar as it contributes to this development, because it enables the artist to go on in a freer, larger way to his next picture.”

I have two books on Wolf Kahn; Wolf Kahn’s America, An Artist’s Travels. Paintings, Pastels, and Text by Wolf Kahn and Wolf Kahn Pastels, the source of the above quote. This book is full of advice to artists, but in a relaxed manner. I think its time for me to re-read these yummy, visually appealing books. And I do love his use of orange and turquoise…..

These photos are of textures in process, and another small collage.

15 comments:

  1. Great post, Leslie!I'm a notebook fan myself and am always jotting down ideas during the day. The textures in process are peeking my curiosity.... I'll be back to see where you take them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kahn is great, isn't he?

    I really adore your neutrals. I end up staring at your 08 exchange piece every time I visit. It's marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie, I'm a bit Kahn fan also, having gone through a period of several years doing nothing but pastels. He's such a master colorist!

    Thanks for sharing your thought process in the studio. Gives me some ideas about how to think of my time there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. some very cook things happening in your studio! the second image is starting to get very complex! - like some of the things Mr. Kahn has to say! - guess what?, it's snowing here! geez!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sensational pieces. Can't wait to see where you take them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am learning so much by visiting here! Love what you're working on...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very much the way I work too. By that I mean just seeing where the process takes me next. But unlike you, I'm terrible about not taking notes as I go. Sometimes I really wish I could deconstruct something I did and find I'm unable to.

    You've inspired me to start taking better notes!

    Beautiful pieces already, Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leslie, your winter colors are absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robyn: I have multiple notebooks; everywhere! I jot what ever I want in any of them. I am not organized enough to have one notebook for different things. But I find I may forget what had been a great idea, so I do try to jot…

    Willow: I love the neutrals. And I have a copy of that 08 piece in the studio as inspiration. I keep thinking it could turn into a series, eventually. It is always nice to have a visit from you!

    Bob: Studio process. There are many approaches and all are valid. I admire artists who can create a plan and follow it. Even when I create one, 15 seconds into it and I am off in another direction. I do find planning and dreaming of future work is good exercise. And I checked my CD player; Eric Clayton and JJ Cale at the moment, at least between the silences.

    Jeane: Yes things are really cooking on the studio. I love it.

    Seth: I am enjoying seeing your work evolve as well.

    Oliag: I am always happy you visit. I am learning a lot through blogging. Its like a journal of course.

    Martha: My note taking is very intermittent. But some thoughts just require a note, or I loose them. I have to keep multiple notebooks in multiple places, so something is always handy. Sometimes I even use the junk mail as a journal page; what ever is handy. I’ve been reading your blog for a long while now, and yes, I do see the similarity in our process; responding to the surface, being in the moment. Thanks for stopping by.

    I Love B & W: These are winter colors. Last summer was only white. Black is an addition…..It will be interesting to see what comes of the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robyn: I have multiple notebooks; everywhere! I jot what ever I want in any of them. I am not organized enough to have one notebook for different things. But I find I may forget what had been a great idea, so I do try to jot…

    Willow: I love the neutrals. And I have a copy of that 08 piece in the studio as inspiration. I keep thinking it could turn into a series, eventually. It is always nice to have a visit from you!

    Bob: Studio process. There are many approaches and all are valid. I admire artists who can create a plan and follow it. Even when I create one, 15 seconds into it and I am off in another direction. I do find planning and dreaming of future work is good exercise. And I checked my CD player; Eric Clayton and JJ Cale at the moment, at least between the silences.

    Jeane: Yes things are really cooking on the studio. I love it.

    Seth: I am enjoying seeing your work evolve as well.

    Oliag: I am always happy you visit. I am learning a lot through blogging. Its like a journal of course.

    Martha: My note taking is very intermittent. But some thoughts just require a note, or I loose them. I have to keep multiple notebooks in multiple places, so something is always handy. Sometimes I even use the junk mail as a journal page; what ever is handy. I’ve been reading your blog for a long while now, and yes, I do see the similarity in our process; responding to the surface, being in the moment. Thanks for stopping by.

    I Love B & W: These are winter colors. Last summer was only white. Black is an addition…..It will be interesting to see what comes of the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "a process painter". Indeed. looking at your works, I totally agree with you. and it's an amazing discovery process. It's full of gesture, of soul. Beautiful work again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. More great work, I agree with your comment about appreciating an artist who does something completely different to your work, I get inspiration from so many artist's styles, if a work's well done it doesn't matter if it has no colour or lots of colour. Thanks for the link to Wolf Kahn's site, his work is fabulous. Thanks too for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting work, Leslie. You are amazing! I like Wolf Kahn, too and have the same books I buy a calendar of his work every year so I'll have a little bit of his work in my kitchen. Just today my cousin's main squeeze told me that she's friend's with Wolf Kahn! Can you imagine? And she has a few pieces of his work. I may have to make a trip to the east coast and see if I can wrangle an introduction :)
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the process of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luisa: Your way with words is as lovely as your images. I thank you for your words. I’ve written them down so I can ponder gesture and soul when I begin work in the studio again.

    Ro: Well executed, thoughtful work that is authentic is always an inspiration, isn’t it?

    Jo: I can see in my minds eye how lovely Wolf Kahn’s art work, albeit on a calendar, would be in your colorful kitchen. By all means, if you can meet Wolf Kahn, it might make your year! His writing seems so kind and friendly. And if I know you, you will return with some great artwork in hand…..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Leslie,

    I want to show all my admiration and affection for you work.
    I also want to wish a great new year in your artistic and personal life, together with all the ones you love.
    Regards

    José Brito

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please sign the guest book and let me know what you think. Join the conversation. It's fun!