contemporary collage paintings
the process
Leslie Avon Miller

My life flows when I'm in my art.


Jean De Muzio

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Collage and Meme


This collage is for the International Collage Exchange 2009. The lower part has more texture in the white area than shows up in the photo.
MEME:
I have had a great day; I have responded to 3 memes. I signed up with the Painted Lady at Art-i-ture, with Jo Horswill at Mystory, and with Cynjon Noah at ~ ~ Varietist Muse ~ ~. So now I will rein myself in and stop, because I will be making 15 items to give away! Except as I move my studio I am finding all kinds of cool items I have stashed and forgotten about. The potential that I already have 15 items is great. I adopted the variation of recipient’s input from Painted Lady, which I changed to be input of a color.

The first 15 people who respond to this post will get something made by me. My choice, for you. BUT with some input from you... a color request.

This offer does have some restrictions and limitations:

1. What I create will be just for you
2. I cannot guarantee you will like what I create (though I can hope!)
3. You will receive your item sometime before the end of the year
4. You will have no idea what the item is going to be but you will be allowed to add one color suggestion in your original response to this post.
5. You will have no clue what the item is going to be

The catch is you have to repost this meme and make and send out *five* surprises of your own.

Its fun! What you create could be a poem, a story, a photograph, or anything else you can think of. A babble, a bead, a bangle or cookies perhaps?

15 comments:

  1. Stunning collage, you are certainly moving with this project!!!

    Hey Leslie...Can I be in your MEME too. :)

    Oh this is great fun...very exciting...
    Hmmm colour request (why did't I think of that!!!) great idea...so here goes...
    I choose Fire engine RED...:)
    Joxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh. Red! That will be a fun stretch! Maybe red dots.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! you're a better woman then I am Leslie - 15 pieces - wow! I'm only doing 5, but I have a year! obviously I'm not in for this meme, but just wanted to say, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. another lovely collage. I love how you add the numbers, the upside down 83 is so so nice. It really gets my attention in the collage.

    oh and I would love to be in your meme :D

    colour? my favourite colour since I was a child: Yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leslie, I'am from the Netherlands and unknown to you. I admire your collages; they are fascinating and inspiring, like japanese haiku. I just started to make collage's, expirimenting with textured surfaces. I love to have some of yours so I like to be in your meme. My favorite colors are the colors from the nature. I will post the rules on my creative blog www.dovadi.web-log.nl/fiberfusing - I have never done this before, but five things I can handle I quess. greetings, Dorie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning collages! Just like always! And love your studio thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeane: I'll make you something too, but you don't have to add to your meme. So far, I'm not in over my head. Maybe out of it.....

    Lovely Luisa: Mellow yellow for you.

    Dorie: Welcome to the blog, and I will enjoy doing an earth tone creation for you. I took a look at your blog and liked the idea of over dying rust. I have rusted paper that is just too rusty. I'll try adding to it now.

    Ms. B & W: Will I be doing yours in black and white then? But of course....Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot Leslie, that sounds interesting! Today I have received a description how to get more colour out of this rust, so I will try to do it myself once. I shall make my own announcement to this 'meme' (BTW what does the word means, so I can translate it on my blog in Dutch?) and see what happens if... greetings Dorie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know what a meme was either, so here is what wikipedia said: A meme (pronounced /miːm/) comprises a unit or element of cultural ideas, symbols or practices; such units or elements transmit from one mind to another through speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena. The etymology of the term relates to the Greek word mimema for mimic.[1] Memes act as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate and respond to selective pressures.[2]

    And a link to the weikipedia explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Leslie, I thought it was a kind of club or just letters for a bigger word. I have found also a Dutch description on wikepedia, that makes it all more clear and interesting. xD

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am shocked you don't already have 15 comments, well thank goodness for me! I would love to be a part of this meme and will commit to making 5 to share before the end of the year. My color choice would be sage. Thank you for the offer and the motivation :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. Your collages are lovely. I discovered your blog recently and was going through posts and just thinking, Man, I wish I'd seen the collage drawing earlier! I really like that one. Thanks too for the definition of meme...
    I love blue almost unreasonably, but just whites, silvers, grays...or any of your (they strike me as) soothing palettes would be fabulous!

    Thanks
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm only just getting into collage, so I'm having great fun researching all the great collage artists on the web.

    I'm fascinated by the idea of 'palimpsest' - the layering of objects over time. When I paint, I build up lots of glazes and of course collage is made for me. It odes mean I have to be working on lots of pieces at any one time, to allow for that gradual accretion.

    I would love to be in your meme if you still have spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Robin, Anita and Ian. Yes, you can be in the meme. I'm actually working on them. I have the International Collage to get out first, then the memes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's time for all the MEME people to send me addresses to leslie avon miller @ g mail dot com

    They are nearly ready to go in the envelopes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please sign the guest book and let me know what you think. Join the conversation. It's fun!