contemporary collage paintings
the process
Leslie Avon Miller

My life flows when I'm in my art.


Jean De Muzio

Monday, August 6, 2012

Sketchbook Journey

Leslie Avon Miller Sketchbook Page



In large measure, becoming an artist consists of learning to accept yourself, 
which makes your work personal, 
and in following your own voice, 
which makes your work distinctive.


Leslie Avon Miller Sketchbook Page

But if you want to become a decent cobbler, 
it’s not enough to enthuse over human feet. 
You have to know your leather, 
your tools, pick the right pattern, and so forth. . . . 
It holds true for artistic creation too.


Leslie Avon Miller Sketchbook Page




If I was asked to get rid of the Zen aesthetic 
and just keep one quality necessary to create art, 
I would say its trust. 
When you learn to trust yourself implicitly, 
you no longer need to improve something through your art. 
You simply allow it to come out, to be effortless. 
It happens just as you grow your hair. 
It grows.






Leslie Avon Miller Sketchbook Page


 
So, know your tools, know your medium, and then trust. My art will grow. Your art will grow.

There is something about a sketch book that builds trust. There is something about a sketchbook that lets me develop my tools, my knowledge. It’s a place to think without self censorship.

Things are good. My health continues to improve without acrylic VOCs and other things I am sensitive to. A few changes have been made to the studio which is improving the air quality.

I continue to explore information about art supplies. Many artists are writing to tell me of products they have found to be good alternatives to the ones that are so toxic. 

Other artists are questioning their materials and expressing health concerns. I am continuing the research and conversation on my new blog Detoxing My Art Practice

 I appreciate all the emails and blog comments on this blog and the detox blog with helpful suggestions. 

Leslie Avon Miller Sketchbook Page





I have had the pleasure of interviewing artist Shayla Perreault Newcomb. Shayla's story is truly inspirational! Go here to read part one of her incredible journey from being an artist who was made ill by her materials to one who has found a new path. Surrender to Healing - a Personal Detox Story



And right now, for me, working in a sketchbook is perfect. Just perfect. I feel my artistic vision is getting stronger from this change of pace. A good thing. 

Painting is a journey. 
It is the way I mark my path through life.  

~Virginia Cobb


26 comments:

  1. Shayla's story is touching, honest and inspirational. Thank you Shayla.

    Right now, I really enjoy the space I am exploring in my sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mon calepin de dessin n'est pas montrable...
    ici c'est une oeuvre d'art entière! beau!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elfi: Well, my sketchbooks are not always presentable either! But this one is just for ideas in collage; markers of my path. A different kind of exploration. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Elfi's comment translates to

      "my notebook design is not presentable ...
      here is a work of art itself! beautiful!"

      Delete
  3. Your sketch book pages are tugging at my heart Leslie. Each collage feels like a beautiful poem. The pages in the last image feel like a conversation. It's exciting for us to follow your journey as you find a new healthier path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn: That's a great observation Robyn. I guess they are wordless poems. I certainly am celebrating each little piece of paper I have previously made with acrylics. I have really have suspended thinking in favor of making....

      Delete
  4. how exciting to witness your art grow in this new healthful direction, remaining personal, distinctive and so very you. you make it look effortless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anca; It certainly feels good to feel good! This time of stepping back from my art, of "not knowing" has really been relaxing and, I think, is bearing fruit.

      Delete
  5. I love your exploration. I love that you are not grumbling about loss but embracing what has come to you. The pieces in your sketchbook are delicious. I love how they move to the edge of the pages and don't feel the page. To me this breathes space, calm and of course the authenticity of you!

    Going over to check out your detox blog. Just bought a new spray fixitive that is non toxic, caesin based and non aerosol. I am excited to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole: I seem to crave space in my current work, along with the energy of placement high on the edge....

      Please let me know how the new fixative works out.

      Delete
  6. Love the explorations in your sketchbook and glad that you are finding new materials to work with. My husband and I are in the process of moving house so all my art supplies are packed away and I've been missing them. Can't wait to set up a space in our new home and lose myself in it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn; If you read Shyala's story you will find out that a forced break in one's art practice can actually be fruitful. I hope you get your hands back into your work again soon!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful post!

    www.somethingsithinkabout-annell-annell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. what fun to see your sketchbook. so much white space on the page. what self control! glad your health is better now. thank you for your kind comments about my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely feel honoured to see your sketch book journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Leslie, for all of these wonderful quotes, as well as your own thoughts. Seeing your sketchbook pages, presented here, is simply a delight! Thank you for sharing! I have found a sketchbook to be very empowering in terms of helping me to sort out what is, and what is not important in my art. I love that it frequently leads me in new directions that I never would have come to by any other method! I don't have much knowledge of art materials and their toxicity, but I wish you all the best in your search. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really seem to be finding your way Leslie...and creating your own inspirational story. I am loving the pages of your sketchbook and really appreciate the sentiments behind the quotes in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. glad thanks for sharing this rich muchness
    .....there is just so much aliveness
    happening over here!
    i feel rich
    just to wander through
    and soak.
    peace and rest,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad your health is improving Leslie, thank you for sharing your beautiful sketchbook and wisdom :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Leslie - so pleased to hear things are on the up, that steps are being taken, moving forward...
    I also love these quotes, each and every one is a truth to hold close. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leslie....another inspirational post. I have found that quality of trust in your own process as the absolute key....the essential thing. And yet, it takes a long time to develop and yet there it is one day, you realize that is your true source. Love these sketchbook pieces....intimate explorations. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These words, this morning: Clear direction. Sweet clean sign post above the dust and noise. Thank yiou.

    ReplyDelete
  17. good pages. i will take a look at the new blog. i AM glad your health continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have wonderful quotes here Leslie.. and yes a sketchbook journal.. with an image every day IS a really good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such good thoughts about your sketchbooks --
    a tool that is really worthwhile --though, sadly, I haven't had one for years.
    You are right to keep your studio as non toxic as possible.
    Buster sends greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you for sharing your sketchbook here. And yes, Trust in self is vital. Even in the searching and the inevitable wading through obstacles and doubt, we have to trust that we will find our way.

    Love these quotes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please sign the guest book and let me know what you think. Join the conversation. It's fun!