contemporary collage paintings
the process
Leslie Avon Miller

My life flows when I'm in my art.


Jean De Muzio

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wash Your Spirit Clean




Near dusk. Down, down, down old uneven stairs, and out to the little deck. Aerobatic flyers, silent and agile, one, two, three, and more…the bats emerge to go out on their nightly rounds.

The lake is smooth, the air is silent. A splash, a flip of a tail, and I see an otter, diving down into the nearly black lake, the reddish pink sky silhouettes his tail. Out over the lake a large being flies, flapping wings appearing black in the near darkness. A heron moves down the lake.

Off in the distance, a sound, long, low and piercing….elk. We have arrived at Quinault.





Not wanting to miss a thing, we sleep with the doors and windows of the little cabin open. We promise to wake one another if one of us hears the elk first thing in the morning. I fall asleep after looking at the bright stars and perhaps Venus in the southern sky. I wish I didn’t have to sleep at all…

Did you hear that?! Out to the deck, holding my breath listening. Yes, there it is again – the piercing call of the bull elk, perhaps challenging one another. Smile. After a few more moments of listening, coffee is made and we settle into the deck chairs to listen, and watch the sun rise from behind the mountains. The sky is purple, pink and yellow. The mountains are black in silhouette. A bald eagle flies down the lake, and I hear the call of the raven from the woods behind the cabin. A fish jumps. The splash is enticing to the fisherman, who is gathering his gear.





We head over to the next valley, driving up into the mountains. Hiking down to the river we point out mushrooms and other interesting bits to each other on the way. I set up a chair and have my bag with sketchbook and camera near by. The fisherman heads downriver, casting at each hole until he is out of sight around the bend. I settle in for several delicious hours of solitude. Although my things are with me, I simply wander up and down the bank, looking, occasionally choosing a pebble to put in my pocket. I see the berries the black bear had obviously been eating, based on the sign she has left. An elk had been here not all that long ago. Perhaps one or both would be by again this day. The sun is warm, and I notice leaves fall from the maple with each small breeze. The individual leaves tumble to the river and slowly ride the current down stream. Yellow alder leaves are caught on rocks at the edges of the small river. The sound of the water over the rocks is soothing and constant. A flicker comes by and feeds on bugs in an old snag across the river. I gather a little wild strawberry vine and weave a small offering on bleached drift wood, which I leave under a tree. But mainly I am Being, and not doing anything. The word peace comes into my mind. Hours later the fisherman returns, enough fish for a meal, having released the rest. We hear a pileated woodpecker as we begin the climb out of the ravine. As we climb, we stop to gather a few wild red huckleberries to go with the fish.




That night the rains begin to fall, sounding loudly on the metal cabin roof. After all, this is the rainforest where up to fifteen feet of rain can fall in a year. Dawn brings mists over the mountains. The rain has stopped, perhaps an inch and a half accumulated in the rain gauge. We hear the early morning elk calls, and listen as we enjoy the day’s beginnings. We plan to head up the Quinault Valley, and up the north fork of the river. We will hunt for elk, using cameras as our capture device. We spend time preparing for the day. We enjoy a leisurely breakfast on the deck, and I notice out of the corner of my eye a movement down on the lake. It’s an otter! I call Kurt and together we enjoy watching four otter dive and swirl, occasionally eat a small fish and generally have a great time playing together. The show lasts for more than half an hour. Heading up the valley, while still driving by mail boxes belonging to the locals, we have just gone less than half a mile when suddenly Kurt says "Elk!" And there they are, crossing the road in front of us. Elk are to the right and to the left of us. I was so surprised to see them this soon, I wasn’t prepared. Kurt stops the truck and we both grab our cameras and begin shooting. Several cows cross the road. Click, click, and click. Kurt notices a few cows are still on the other side. And then a sound, not unlike an Orca whale, emanates from the deep woods on the right. The bull is calling his cows. It’s absolutely primal. The cows hesitate and Kurt gets a few more photos. And then as quickly as it began, it’s over.









We drive up along the north fork of the river and stop and take pictures of giant trees, moss and ferns, always on the look out for more elk. We spy a woods grouse, but it is shy and doesn’t pose for the camera. Coming back down heading towards the cabin we stop at the Kestner Homestead Trail. It’s a short hike to the old homestead site were we take a few photos of rusty bits and old weathered things. Kurt notices there aren’t any apples under the trees, just elk sign. We start down the next section of trail, and Kurt signals quiet and waves me forward. He has found another small herd of elk, the light colored rumps standing out against the green of the fields and trees. Quietly we move towards them as they graze in one of the old fields. We take photos and move forward until the bull, a nice two point, can’t tolerate it anymore and moves his herd of cows and this years calves off into the woods. We follow for a little ways, listening to them move through the brush. The trail back is full of interesting things- mushrooms, ferns, bogs and such. The cameras click; click until we arrive at the truck.



Back at the cabin we hear loons calling – that sound like no other, wild - ethereal and peaceful all at the same time. Ducks and sea gulls fly up and down the lake, and a kingfisher is busy near the shore. While some of the birds are leisurely flyers, I’ve noticed the king fisher is a speedster; zooming from one snag to another.

Dinner tonight is across the lake at the Lodge, a stately and venerable place made famous by the visit of President Franklin Roosevelt when he arrived to determine if the place was worthy to become a National Park. We are dining in the Roosevelt dining room, over looking the lake, where we can just pick out our cabin across the way. There is a fire in the big old rock fireplace, and we enjoy a beverage prior to dinner. It’s a cozy end to an exciting day of elk hunting.

42 comments:

  1. I loved seeing the magnificent elk! I feel relaxed after reading this peaceful post, Leslie. Ahh. My kind of trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Leslie, I appreciate your description of "wild" living. Such experiences quieten your mind and sharpen your senses. I love the sound of loons but we have moose not elk in Duntara. A very hungry one has eaten away the side of my lovely birch tree I planted 5 years ago. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt as though I was right there with you on your lovely exploration...and wish I was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, Welcome back from your most wonderful adventure into nature's wild and yet peaceful places. Thank you for the quotes by Rachel Carson and John Muir...both speak so clearly of your trip. I especially enjoyed how both of you seemed to be in tune with the week...the sights and sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful depiction of a fabulous trip. Love the elk. so refreshing to be off in the wilderness where nature speaks so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very refreshing—thanks for sharing your trip, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks so much for letting me tag along...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! What a beautiful post and the pics are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmmmmmm, just taking a break from the first session of ken burns' America's Best Idea...listening to excerpts from john muir and others, and relaxed by the mere images on the screen.
    your writing is so descriptive, and i love the present tense easily taking me along your path shared so sweetly with your husband.
    the perfect way to celebrate life, just being surrounded by the best of it...au natural.
    such gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is lovely, what a peaceful beautiful place. And the Elk! I was excited to see them too! Thanks for sharing such beauty from your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This really does fit in with the Ken Burn's series on the National Parks in the US, doesn't it? The television series is on PBS (the Public Broadcasting Service) this week. I grew up very near the Olympic National Park, and I still feel like it is part of my back yard. It felt really good to "go home" again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. to be so close to these creatures in their natural environment must be akin to the spiritual. many thanks, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leslie, what a generous spirit you are to share such beautiful pictures! Thank you so much. The elk are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back Leslie,

    The story you weave has me standing right behind the two of you in your shadow, experiencing natures beauty and its sounds.

    The images you share with us, are truly a treasure and I am glad for places such as this. We just need to preserve not only these beautiful parks, but our neighborhoods and think 'green'.

    Your retreat I am sure has recharged you with new creative energy.

    Thank you for sharing
    Egmont

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderfully descriptive writing, your cabin sounds as though it is an enchanting place. I am geen with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. After the frustrating computer problems I have been having for the past 2 weeks and going through another day of frustration, your images and words have put life back into perspective-- peaceful, lovely, nature-full, beauty... just what I needed to top off my day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this post. I love your description of just being down by the river. I'm wondering if all of this is close to your home, or maybe a short trip away?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah Leslie,

    Your description of the splendor of Lake Quinault and the Olympic National Park just took me back there, almost, I just had to soak in your words, close my eyes and combine them with memories of our recent experiences. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I actually caught myself holding my breath so as not to startle the elk on the road. What a wonderful sight! So glad you could get away from it all and absorb the wonders of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have alwasy loved every place that I have seen wild otter.

    Your post is anmazing as are the photographs.

    So glad you mention the birds - thwey are barometers of the environment and also of a unbroken spirits.

    Kingfgishere are manic - they are heavy and cannot glide - that weight allows them to shoot like a dart trhough the water at a fingerling trout.

    Ravens snd woodpeckers.

    wonder.ful

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for sharing your adventure so eloquently. I have been wanting to go back to the park since moving back from Hawaii. Perhaps next September it will work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your beautifully descriptive writing summons up the essence of your experience and I'm there, watching the otter, sensing the elk. Your beautiful pictures accent your words perfectly. What a treat you have shared!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I have been so scattered of late. Your thoughtful response has indeed reminded me that the network of artists on the blogs is a such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The opening image is purely stunning...your trip sounded wonderful Leslie...very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wonderful post Leslie - so well written - loved every moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything about this post is picture perfect.
    Thanks for taking us to the river.
    And back.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Today Jeane at Art It posted about her vacation in comparison to ours. It is such a funny post I laughed until the tears ran down my face. Her blog is on my side bar or her comment is just above the one from Babs, so do go take a peek if you want to have a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. YOur account is magical..

    I can only wish you were in Australia. to witness the animals and light here too.

    I just read Jeane's post about your trip and hers..

    And I got so excited aboutr seeing my first deer and squirrel when last in the ststes...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Leslie,

    Welcome back! Glad you had a good time. Your storytelling is great. Particularly loved the tall tree pic and the lodge fireplace! I'm always partial to comfort!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful trip! Amazing photo! Thank you for sharing, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So enjoyed your post, Leslie...some great descriptive writing, felt I was there with you. Read Jeane's first...such a different time and sense of humor to tell it so. the moose are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Welcome back, Leslie, and thanks so much for the wonderful description of your trip and the way it affected all your senses. The elk photos were magnificent! I've never seen an elk before (none here in the East) and loved their color.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Buster ( and I) think the elk are pretty damn cool!
    What a fabulous tim away from the modern world.
    A wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  34. i LOVE places like this; still consider a visit to muir woods nearly 30 years ago one of the highlights of my life. james and i, who seldom watch tv, rearranged our lives this week to watch ken burns'documentary. cried through the whole thing--wacko girl :)
    great carson and muir quotes too.
    thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Leslie I know I will be back to read this again and again - it is like a meditation - you took me there to this wonderful wild place - thank you so much - it has been added to my places to visit in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a beautiful little travel presentation. Lovely photos. :)

    Our Treasure Hunt begins on Monday. I hope you will be able to participate. Check out my blog for information. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very moving prose, Leslie. Your descriptions are vivid and make me wish I were there with you, in the peace and magic of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful 'breath of autumn air'!

    ReplyDelete
  39. ahhhhhh.....
    sigh........
    mmmmm.......

    What a magical post, Leslie. It felt as if I had entered into a dream world of sorts and I really did have to claw my way back out of your beautiful description of your holiday, in order to get back to reality (dishes then bed).

    Please go on more adventures - you are such a wonderful travel writer and photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  40. How kind of you to share these peaceful moments communing with nature. Magnificent. Felt like I was there looking over your shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you all for these great comments. Being a travel writer...there is a dream job!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful description of the scene and lovley photos...just like a well written book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Please sign the guest book and let me know what you think. Join the conversation. It's fun!